Thursday, January 21, 2010

spotter

This morning I was on a treadmill at the gym. Two men lifting weights caught my attention. They were using the free weights, doing bench presses. The weight one guy was lifting was unbelievable. At the end of his set, his grip slipped. Not to worry, his spotter was there. I got chills watching how quickly the spotter reacted. He was there to watch over his friend and he did it. Nothing was distracting him. It was a very cool thing to observe.

I continued my run and began to think about God as my spotter. When you lift weights, you have to trust your spotter implicitly without hesitation. You relinquish all control to him/her. It seems that I choose to live my life with God as stand by spotter instead of the real thing. I like for Him to be there for me, but instead of letting Him grab the weights before they hit me, I like to struggle under the frustration and pain for as long as I can before I have to give up control. Why? Why struggle with things when you have the ultimate spotter waiting to stop it from ever hitting you? For me it all comes down to control. I am petrified to completely surrender to His perfect will. If I do that, what is left for me to control? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And you know what…that’s the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment