Thursday, January 21, 2010

take a minute

Yesterday I went to JC Penny to look for some new britches. Found some – on sale – had a coupon – saved more than I spent – FABULOUS! Anyway, when I got to the register, I was in a hurry. When I am in a hurry it always seems like I get the slowest possible cashier…anyone else? I was trying not to be “that” customer as I waited sort of patiently. Then she began to start up a conversation. ARG. Do not have time. I was about to give her the half polite “mmm –hmmm” as to signal her that my time was much more important than her story. Before I did, I felt God pull at my heart. Listen… I am listening to you Lord…what is it? NO…listen to HER. Stink. Okay Lord. I will listen but I don’t have that much time okay… Just listen to her. This is usually how conversation with me and the Big Guy goes. He commands…I try and do a half hearted reply…He commands…I finally do.

As I stopped and really listened to this woman…I found that her story was much more important than my time. It wasn’t a story of great significance or entertainment. It was simply her way of starting a conversation. I stood and chatted with her for a little while. In the end she told me how nice it was for someone to slow down long enough to talk. Oh my! If she had only heard my thoughts!!

Yesterday God used my self-important…too busy…hurried attitude to teach me. HE is never too hurried to listen to my stories. HE will never ask me to skip the details so He can go about His day. HE is always willing to take a minute to listen…even if I just want to tell Him something silly. Live today knowing that you serve a God who is never in too big of a hurry….and He expects us to serve others in the same manner…

No comments:

Post a Comment