Thursday, January 21, 2010

empty handed

Last night after work I stopped by to see granddaddy (John’s g-pa on his dad’s side.) For those of you who don’t know, Granddaddy is in his final days. He has liver cancer. In the past week or so, I have found comfort in taking meals to Grandma and the family staying with her. I say this not to brag about cooking, but to tell you how I have been coping with the situation. For me, having something to do makes it easier to deal with. Well, yesterday someone else made them dinner so when I got to the house, I was empty handed…As I looked at Granddaddy it all hit me. My eyes began to burn and the tears started to fall. I left as quickly as I could. I got outside and stood in the rain for a few minutes letting God’s shower cover my sadness.

I did not know what to do without something in my hands. Who are we when all we “do” is gone? When all these great deeds are invisible. When we aren’t teaching a Sunday school class, or helping a friend in need. When we aren’t at church…when all is dark and we are empty handed…who are we? I learned last night that I was a broken hearted child of God. You know, that’s ok. When all is done you are simply His child…loved beyond all measure - cradled in His big arms and held as long as you need to be. If your hands are so full that you can’t see the way…lay it all down at the cross. For when we empty our hands all there is to do is to lift them up in Praise to our Savior…

No comments:

Post a Comment